FTDX10 arrives Tuesday. I need separate RX and TX antenna connections

 My FTDX10 arrives Tuesday. I need separate RX and TX antenna connections.

Has anyone added a connection for an RX antenna?  If there's room on the back panel, I was thinking of two 1/4" holes for SMA connectors, passing the antenna relay's-RX-terminal to the rear panel, and the RX input also to the back panel. A coax jumper between the two would complete the path like a stock FTDX10, but with the jumper removed one connector can go to an RX antenna.

Don't mine being the Lone Ranger, but would be interested to hear if anyone else another approach or experience?

 

 

 You need a separate TX/RX switch.  Have been using one here for a year or so with no problems.  You really don't want to go drilling holes in the radio; slightest error could be very expensive.  Here's a link to what I've been using... 

https://www.amazon.com/160MHz-Antenna-Transceiver-Sharing-Aluminum/dp/B08JGXYH5T/


I'm using a little SDR to present a spectrum and waterfall using the SDRConsole freeware; the little radio is receive only, and the switch handles the issue without any issues.

Sorry if this is too brief of an explanation.  Any other questions, just ask away !!




Thanks everyone for the feedback. The FTDX10 arrived yesterday and it is a great rig.

My station has a PIN diode T/R relay, with "TX" and "RX" outputs. A MOSFET linear is connected to the TX connector, the RX feeds a homebrew multicoupler that can drive up to 4 receivers. A homebrew SDR has separate exciter output to the linear, and input to its receiver. The receiver and a Racal RA6790 currently get their signals from the multicoupler. I would like to add the FTDX10 receiver to the multicoupler so I can compare it against the SDR. IE, left headphone = FTDX10, right headphone = SDR. (So far, with both preamps on, it's slightly more sensitive than the SDR - no surprise).

But even without mic or key connected, if I hit the TUNE button I smoke the multicoupler. I don't see how, but is there a software setting that absolutely disables the transmitter?

I pulled the cover(s). J4009 is the receiver output from the FTDX10's antenna relay. If I could find an "extension cable" with those teeny coax connectors on J4009 it could be cut in half and wired to two coax connectors on the back panel. BUT.....those would need holes through back panel and chassis casting. Yow. Well if there's a way to turn the TX on/off, and/or if someone's drilled the holes, I'm open to advice. If not, someone has to be first.



I use a passive 2 port splitter, the input of which is from my active receiving loop.
One output from the splitter goes to an SDR (Airspy Discovery).
The other output is attached to the 'aux' antenna input on an MFJ-1026 phaser/QRM eliminator, with the TX/RX switching hardwired with a cable from the dx10, as is the recommended way.
The 'main' antenna output to the MFJ1026 is my transmitting antenna, a wire delta loop.
The input to the MFJ-1026 is from the FTdx10.
I can view the receive of both the SDR and the Yaesu at the same time, on the same antenna, AND I can compare &/or phase the loop against my transmitting antenna.
As soon as I touch the 'tune', key, or ptt the MFJ is grounded, with the RF going to the TX antenna only.
The SDR doesn't get overloaded by my transmissions, in fact they show up as about s9, or much less if I dial in some attenuation via the SDR software.
Now, I only run 20W maximum, but my TX and RX antennas are within 10 feet of each other, so with larger spacing higher power could be used.
Another advantage of this setup is that I can see the waterfall from the SDR software in far greater detail than is available with the FTdx10 screen.
A single click on a signal and both radios QSY or tune the VFO and the SDR follows. This is not quite the same as yours but it may give you an idea of what to do, and it would cost a great deal less than $1k.
You could always substitute the TX antenna for a dummy load if you wanted to be extra careful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

.
OFFICIAL FORUM FOR YAESU FTDX10
The New FTDX10

https://groups.io/g/YAESU-FTDX10
.