FTDX-10 in AM mode

FTDX-10 in AM mode

I have an unexplained phenomena taking place on my FTDX-10 in AM mode. 
I was listening to the AM BCB for some background noise in the shack, when  I noticed that the AGC would suddenly take "hits" with the "S" meter climbing to about 20-over, and then settle back ground.  Of course, the desired signal was almost muted during that time.   It was similar to qrn from lightning, except the duration was much longer.  

   Has anyone else noticed similar issues ?   I do believe that it has happened while tuned to the ham bands as well in SSB.  Note that other radios using the same antenna (not at the same time) do not exhibit the same issue.

 

 

 Is AGC set to SLOW or AUTO?? 

AUTO AGC = SLOW for LSB/USB/AM/AM-N modes
There's also AGC SLOW/MID/FAST delay settings in FUNC/RADIO SETTING/[mode] for each mode.  
And the default AGC delay for AM is 4 seconds, and SSB 3 seconds.

A neighbor has an electric fence around his garden about 150' from my dipole that generates a pop  once a second.  I found that NB set to 1 or 2 deals with the spike, and I have to set AGC to FAST so it doesn't "pump" like you describe.  As long as the rig can deal with it, I see no need to hassle the nice neighbor!
 
 

 

Yes. The AGC is VERY slow on the DX10. You can lose half a sentence if you have it set to slow or auto and a spike comes along. Yes, a bit of an exaggeration but it is painfully slow.

All the radios I've ever owned, I've had the AGC on slow but it is not good to have it set there with this radio. I think, that in most cases, mine is set to Fast. No more problems like you describe.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.
OFFICIAL FORUM FOR YAESU FTDX10
The New FTDX10

https://groups.io/g/YAESU-FTDX10
.